Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stage 3 Diet (Begin 2 Weeks Post-Op, Continue for 2 Weeks)

I've been thinking about Sheila's comment about what was allowed in her diet two weeks post-op, versus mine. Funny how things vary so much between surgeons!

My "Stage 3 Diet," beginning two weeks after surgery, and continuing for two weeks:

4, 2-ounce protein servings, 1 dairy serving, 3 fruit/veggie/starch servings, 1 fat serving

Protein
- 2 oz chicken
- 2 oz ground turkey
- 2 oz fish/tuna
- 2 oz cheese or soy cheese
- 2 oz eggs or 4 egg whites or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 2 oz deli meat (no roast beef)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup tofu

Dairy
- 8 oz smooth light yogurt
- 8 oz skim, 1% or low-fat soy milk
- 1/2 cup sugar free pudding
- 1 cup sugar free hot cocoa
- 8 oz light yogurt drink

Fruits/Veggies/Starch
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup mashed pears (no juice or syrup)
- 4" banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup pureed butternut squash
- 1 cup low fat creamed soup
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, cream of wheat or farina

Fat
- 1 tsp butter, margarine, mayo or oil
- 1 T light margarine, light salad dressing, fat-free gravy or light mayo

Fluid
- At least 56 oz non-caloric, non-carbonated, non-caffeinated liquid per day

Protein
- 60-70 grams/day

*Yawn.* I think I had a point in mind when I started writing this post, but it is late and I am tired. I was just thinking about the differences in food plans following surgery. I had cream of potato soup tonight, and a sugar-free pudding, and for the first time in my life, I am laying in bed with a terrible case of heartburn! I knew I had not eaten "off plan," but pulled out my manual just to make sure. Funny - I can eat many things, but not nearly what is on the plan, nor in the quantities suggested. When I have cottage cheese, for instance, I am measuring out two ounces, and it leaves me *stuffed.* One cup of tofu?? One cup of anything = no way possible right now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! Somehow your blog does not allow me to post just with name and URL. The problem is, that my other accounts are associated with a different blog which is about translation and not really of interest here :-)
    I was wondering if you'd like to change that? It's easy - I found some instructions on the web:
    1. Sign into Blogger
    2. Go to your ‘Dashboard’
    3. Click on the ‘Settings’ tab
    4. Click on the ‘Comments’ sub-tab
    5. Under the heading ‘Who Can Comment’ select Anyone (this will allow ALL readers to be able to enter their URLs/website addresses when they leave comments)
    6. Under the heading ‘Comment Placement Form’ select Embedded Below Post (this will stop sending your readers to a new page to enter comments)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susanne, I changed the settings. :) I love your blog, btw, I think I read it from start to finish yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! This is better - though I understand why you'd not select that option.
    I guess you have read my "Week 2" plan, but I thought I'd post it here so people can see just how different the meal plans are depending on surgeon. This is what I was allowed to eat Week 2-6 (even though it says 2-4): http://www.bananatummy.com/2010/11/food-for-week-2-4/

    ReplyDelete