Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cornered

Well, if you know me, you know I'm an open book. So it is pretty difficult to make me feel "invaded." But yesterday a coworker did it, blech.

She's a decent sort - but not my cup of tea. CLEARLY she just heard that I had weight loss surgery, and she wanted to talk about it. But the way she approached me also made it clear that she didn't want to talk about it, she wanted me to "admit" I had weight loss surgery. (Umm, okay, the fact that I have chatted openly about it in staff meetings, in little groups, pretty much whenever the subject comes up...this is no earth-shattering revelation she was trying to drag out of me.)

"Hey," she called out. "You look like you've lost some weight."

"Thanks," I said, smiling.

"How are you doing it?" (Knowing look.)

"Oh, lots of exercise and eating changes - my friend and I climb the stairs in the whole building every day." (That has turned into a bald-faced lie, and we need to do something about it, and quick!)

"Yeah, that would help. What else?"

(Okay, at this point, you couldn't stick bamboo under my fingernails and make me admit I had WLS. In fact, I'd deny it.)

Awkward pauses between us.

"Are you doing Weight Watchers or something?"

Okay - I'm not playing any more. :) Talk about yer inquisitions. Of course, I can't convey her tone or the odd smile or the posture here. Suffice to say she had a cat-that-ate-the-canary look about her and she was hell-bent on getting me to talk about WLS. Which I would *happily* do under almost any circumstance, and *have* done here at work more than a bazillion times in the last 8+ months.

Yipes!

4 comments:

  1. I can just see you! That's right, no one backs baby in a corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously how rude...I mean if you already know then just ask someone...I hate when people pussyfoot around the something. And I don't mean you I mean the other person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a four letter word for her...RUDE! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, very rude. Some women are so catty.

    ReplyDelete