Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Treadmill Adventure, Day Two

Well, maybe they won't be the most interesting blog posts, but you know, at least it's something if I update on my progress. :)

Yesterday my daughter and I went back to the Y. I did 35 minutes on the treadmill and logged 2.65 miles. The day before was 35 minutes and 2.51 miles, so I upped my overall pace a bit. I ran a few intervals of a minute or two at 5.4-5.6 mph, and did the rest somewhere between 4.1 and 4.5 mph. It felt good. :)

My hips and butt are sore, but not horribly so! I'm walking a little funny, haha. I think I must look a little like a Weeble Wobble, but I don't fall down, either. Yet.

My 13yo daughter, herself quite overweight, also did the elliptical both days for 35 minutes. Very proud! I'm going to Greg's house tonight, but I've already promised her we'll be back at the Y tomorrow and every day this weekend. Err, if we don't go out of town this weekend. I'm a bit on the fence. I'm tempted to chase the sunshine in Eastern Washington. In the past, when we've done the Y, she's a willing participant, but it's always me that stumbles on commitment. I told her she has every right to ride me to take her there, that she's dependent on me and can reasonably expect me to take her as often as reasonable.

My 11yo son will be joining us at the Y, and I told him I want him to do the treadmill in anticipation of football season. Can you believe football conditioning camp already starts on 6/5? That's 90 minutes of hard physical, but not football, training two times a week. After school gets out, it kicks up to daily workouts before football practice starts. Anyway, he wants to use the machines, but I told him he should work on his cardio and running. He does not run with a great sense of urgency, haha, even during football, which is his absolute passion.

So yes, my baggy skin and I are going to stay with Greg tonight. In a switch from our past practice, I'm only staying one night, when I would have otherwise stayed the next two kid-free nights. We're shaking things up a bit to accommodate his daughter, who is a good kid who treats me well, but did tell her dad that it is uncomfortable having me around so much. The way I explained it to Greg is that they have not been divorced all that long. From her perspective, she moved out and then moved back into the home that not too long ago she shared with her parents, and now there's a new woman there almost half-time. It's got to be pretty unsettling for her. I said we can dial it back and let her get used to it.

It's good for me, too. Before she moved in, the time I was with him at his place was kid-free time. That changed dramatically after she came back. Now it's like playing house with someone else's family. Odd and disconcerting to me, too. It will take some time for all of us to get used to it.

In yet another monkey-wrench, Greg's work schedule was changed suddenly, unexpectedly and most inconveniently. He now works Sun - Thu instead of the nice Mon -Fri shift. (Here, I typed a bad word instead of "shift," I have to think that wasn't an all too subtle Freudian slip, haha.) Oh, wrinkles, wrinkles! That will be another tough one to overcome. It will be challenging: spending less time together to accommodate his daughter, having less time available to spend together because of the new work schedule, plus hoping that little homebody finds the motivation to see me outside of convenient sleepovers at his place. I suggested that we go on proper dates...gasp!! This to the man who is king of his castle, haha. We've had a few interesting turns show up in the path, but I think we'll be okay. We'll see. :)


  1. Enter my giveaway! Then sign your kids up if you win! I local lose mud/foam would be FUN!!!!!

  2. Great job at the Y! I'm so impressed that your daughter is so willing! I wish my 13 yo sister would be willing to do more activites with me!

  3. You're hanging in there despite the twists and turns . I admire your resilience no matter what comes your way. You go with the flow!!